Back to School Shopping Tips
If you’re looking for some back to school shopping tips, we’ve got lots of them for you. Summer always flies by and school will be back in session before you know it! Now is the perfect time to start back to school shopping for your children. On a side note – even if you don’t have kids it’s still a good time of year to bargain shop for stationary, pens, pencils, office, and art supplies.
Here are some of the best back to school shopping tips for you:
- Start shopping early to get the best prices on school supplies.
- Take advantage of the tax-free weekend offered in many states. During the tax-free weekend, you can buy school supplies, clothing, and shoes with no added charge for taxes.
- Follow blogs that post hot deals and coupons like Money Saving Mom, Hip2Save, and Southern Savers.
- Browse all of your local stores’ sales flyers for the best deals. Don’t be afraid to shop around for the best prices and deals. For example, Kroger currently has a lot of school supplies on sale as well as a $5 coupon off the purchase of $20 or more. Sometimes supermarkets have the best deals on school supplies instead of traditional stores.
- Make a list of the supplies that your child needs or what you intend to buy and stick to it.
- Reuse any items that you can from last year’s school supplies. If you know that you’ll need some of the same items for next year you could buy extra this year and save it for next year.
- Buy a quality backpack and lunch box that will last for years to come. L.L. Bean is known for having quality backpacks. They have backpacks for $30 dollars or less during the back to school shopping season.
- Separate wants from needs. Your child may want supplies covered in cartoon characters or funky colors but they can get by with less flashy more plain folders, backpacks, and notebooks.
- Shop yard sales, thrift stores, Craigslist, and Facebook yard sale groups for clothing and other gently used items for your children like backpacks, shoes, and school supplies.
- Check multiple clothing stores for the best back to school sales. Old Navy, Target, JC Penney, Sears, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, and many other clothing retailers have deals during this time of year. Also, look at consignment and discount clothing stores near you.
- Check out online discount clothing stores like Thred Up, Zulily, Jane.com, and Swap.com.