Highlights From Our 2018 Conference
Our hometown, Houston Texas, was an ideal location for the 2018 Conference as we celebrated our 50th anniversary. We had our largest turnout ever, with attendees representing all sectors of the lending industry.
Shaw’s CEO Chris Shaw kicked off the conference, reflecting on the changes the company has seen over the past 50 years and the opportunities we have in the years ahead. Justin Gann and Stephen Brannon followed with a State of the Company address to talk about Shaw’s strategic direction including some of the following themes:
- Highlighting the history and continued success of our Classic products
- Announcing the opportunity for Classic customer to migrate to Spectrum
- The importance of and Shaw forward focus on the new borrower experience where customers can self-serve and communicate electronically via chat, e-mail, text, etc.
- Building automation to make processes easier and reduce staffing. Tools like the Workout Calculator, Spectrum Payment Dashboard, and Contact Center where highlighted in stories of how Shaw finds challenges, partners with customers, and innovates user and operational efficiency while provide more value to account holders
- Technology focus including easier integration, conversion, and implementation via web-services and message queues
Story Musgrave, keynote speaker, inspired us with his fascinating life and message. Story never finished school, ran off to Korea with the U.S. Marines where he was an aircraft electrician and an engine mechanic. He started flying with the Marines and over the next 55 years accumulated 18,000 hours in over 160 aircraft. He has 7 graduate degrees in math, computers, chemistry, medicine, physiology, literature and psychology. He has been awarded 20 honorary doctorates. Story was a NASA astronaut for over 30 years and flew on six spaceflights. He was a part-time trauma surgeon during his 30 year astronaut career. Story told us to never take no for an answer, always keep learning, and never give up.
Guest speaker, Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale, is a Texas-grown phenomenon and philanthropist. In 1981, Mack and his wife Linda started Gallery Furniture with $5,000 and a dream. Even after a horrific fire destroyed their flagship store, they continue to bring their positive approach and “TODAY” philosophy to everything they do. Mack’s strong work ethic is matched by his philanthropy and exceeded only by the commitment he has to his family. Mack reminded us to always help others and give.
During the Tuesday night party Roy Shaw was given a lifetime achievement award to celebrate 50 years since starting Shaw Systems.
Sixteen of our partners had booths set up during the week to showcase their products and services and provide additional connections and networking interactions. The partners’ business products included solutions for loan origination, payment servicing, bankruptcy management, GPS and license plate recognition, repossession automation, insurance management, customer communication, and more.
Shaw employees presented on a variety of topics pertaining to everyday retail, commercial, collections & recovery credit servicing practices. Presentations of special interest included SPECTRUM technology overview, Collateral Protection, Shaw’s Support Team and JIRA Reporting, COMMERCIAL transitioning to SPECTRUM and future roadmap, .NET technology overview and roadmap, and SPECTRUM 5.5 overview and new features.
By all accounts, this was one of the best conferences to date, and without question, each and every one of the Shaw employees stepped up, played a role, worked hard, and made a difference.